There has been so much going on since Ted and I got back from our last trip that I have been bad about updating the blog. Of course, most of you are on Facebook or have talked to me so you know all our "news." But since I am trying to document everthing on here for my memory's sake, let me update.
After Ted and I got back from our court trip, Lorien was very fast at getting potential dates for the return trip to bring Maggie home. The thirty (30) days ends on Friday, November 16th, so we can pick her up any day after that. But many things have to happen during the third trip before we can bring her home. We have to go to the Office of Vital Statistics and get her birth certificat changed. Then we have to go and apply for her passport, which takes 24 hours to have processed (expediated, of course). Once we have her passport, we can go to the US Embassy and apply for her visa to enter the United States since she still will not be a U.S. citizen until we land. That also takes about 24 hours to process. So thoese three things take three days to accomplish. So we would be at Thursday - Thanksgiving. And Thanksgiving poses a problem because the U.S. Embassy is closed. The Embassy is also closed for half the day on Friday (not 100% sure why, but I don't ask those kinds of questions anymore; I just roll with it these days!). After processing her visa, we have to process the adoption through immigration at the Embassy - which means we have to give them a bunch of documents, Maggie will have to have a brief medical exam, etc. So all of this meant that dad and I would have to stay in Russia about 10-12 days, with a bunch of days with nothing to do, a baby in a hotel room, and freezing cold temperatures outside. Not my ideal situation.
Lorien was aware of all this, so she gave us another option - go the week after Thanksgiving. Although that meant that Maggie would have to be in the orphanage a week longer, it really makes more sense in the long run. And I know that they are taking care of her there and that they love her. I can tell that her caregivers are affectionate and caring. More than one has told me that she is their "favorite" and that they will really mioss her. Nice to hear! So dad and I are leaving for Moscow the Sunday after Thanksgiving - November 25th. We arrive in Moscow (via Paris this time) on Monday, November 26th in the late afternoon. We will most likely pick Maggie up from the orphanage on Tuesday, November 27th - GOTCHA DAY! I know that it will be a day that I will never forget. Then the team in Moscow will help me maneuver through all the red tape and get her home forever!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment