They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

11.29.2012

All Done!

Everything is complete on the Moscow end of things.  Now dad and I just have two more days to hang out until we get on our flights home!  We had to build in a couple of extra days in case anything went wrong in any of the steps that had to be completed this final trip (especially at the Embassy), but thankfully everything went smoothly today.

Last night was not as great a night as the first, but we survived.  She woke up with a coughing fit and refused to sleep in the pack and play after that.  I put her in bed with me and although she slept soundly, I didn't get much sleep.  Thankfully, dad came and got her this morning and let me get three much-needed hours of sleep.  They are really bonding and I am so appreciative of him being here.  He is so great with her and she really loves being with him.  It is amazing how fast she is adjusting to everything!  I am praying tonight goes better!

Vlad came and got Maggie and me at 10:40 to head to our appointment at the Embassy.  There is a ton of snow here and it has snowed all day long today so we left early for our 11:30 appointment.  Thankfully the traffic was not too bad and we arrived at 11:00.  The Embassy was, as it had been described to me, much like the DMV -- a lot of lines and a lot of waiting.  I didn't know what to expect, but that was certainly not it.  The place was full of Russians applying for tourist or business visas to the United States.  There were also 4 other American families getting visas for their adopted children so it was fun to get to talk to them.

The first thing I did when I got to the Embassy was to go through security and then wander around a corridor to the cashier.  There was a long line, but, thankfully, adoptions don't have to wait in those lines and get to go to the front of the line to pay the cashier.  It costs $230 to get Maggie her visa.  After I got the receipt, I turned it in to another window and waited to be called - which did not occur until exactly 11:30.  The Embassy Official (the only American I spoke to at the Embassy which I thought was really strange) swore me in and asked me a few questions - mainly confirming that everything on her visa application was true.  I had to sign a few documents and that was pretty much that.  She gave me all of my copies of the official adoption paperwork and explained to me what would happen once I got to customs in Atlanta.  Then I had to wait for another lady to call me with the "sealed yellow envelope" that I hand to the customs officials.  Those documents are the ones used by Homeland Security to issue her naturalization certificate once we get back.  I have heard so much about this envelope and it was great to finally have it in my possession.

Maggie will have both Russian and American citizenship until she is 18.  When she is 18 she can officially renounce her Russian citizenship or choose to keep it.  This is much more important for boys who are adopted because there is a mandatory draft for all Russian boys at 18.  One thing that was interesting about this dual citizenship is that if we bring Maggie back to Russia, she will have to travel on her Russian passport so we will have to renew it since it expires in 5 years.

Maggie was starving once I got back to the car and luckily I brought a bottle.  She downed it and was out - well before naptime!  She slept about 45 minutes and then was wide awake.  I fed her a late lunch and then got her to go down for a nap at 2:00.  I had to wake her up at 4:00!  She was out like a light!  Maybe a good omen for tonight?  I hope so, but I am not counting on it!!

I just realized that I have not taken any pictures today.  Ted will not be happy with that!  I will try to take some in a little while - can't miss a day of documenting this adventure!! Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers and support.  We so appreciate them!

1 comment: