They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

11.06.2012

Day 6

Like most people on election day, I am thankful for this amazing country that we live in.  I am especially thankful to the men and women who risk their lives every day to protect its freedoms - and to the families who are left at home without a father, mother, brother, sister, son or daughter - including my cousin-in-law Greg (and Ward's hero!).  It is truly amazing that after all the votes are cast and counted, we will peacefully transition into a new government (with the same President or a new one), and we do not have to worry one bit about blood being shed or any kind of violence.  Most countries are not so lucky.

I do think that politics have gone way too far and that way too much money is spent on it.  I wish that the money (hundreds of millions of dollars - literally) could go to better use - like feeding the hungry, helping the poor, education, or even toward reducing our huge deficit.  But alas, that will never happen.

Oh and I am thankful that I won't be seeing any more political ads on television or getting any more phone calls from candidates or pollsters.  I am also thankful that all the hateful back-and-forth regarding candidates will end on Facebook and everywhere else.  Of course all of that is because of an incredible right we have called free speech that so many take for granted.   In so many other countries people fear jail or even death for a right that is so much a part of Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment