10.16.2012
It is OFFICIAl (well, almost)
Court is DONE. And she will officially be ours in 30 days. The Judge cannot sign the papers for 30 days in case anyone wants to appeal but of course that will not happen. I was SO NERVOUS for court today. Ted did most of the talking and it was really not a big deal. I can't believe that I got so worked up.
Here is how it all happened. (Not that you are so interested, but I want to remember every single detail so I can tell Maggie when she asks.) We met Vlad at his parent's apartment (it is an easier place for him to park) at 10:15 this morning and drove to the courthouse. The courthouse looked very nice and even had a statue of Lady Justice (blindfolded, holding the scales of justice and a sword!) as we entered. Although we did have to go through a metal detector, court security was not nearly as tight as it is in the United States. The security guard barely even looked into my purse! We went upstairs and met Masha who was our official translator. Masha walked us through who was going to be in the courtroom and what was going to happen. We decided that Ted would go first and answer most of the questions from the Judge. She prepped Ted on a myriad of questions that the Judge could ask (but he really only asked a few of them.) Then Masha went inside the courtroom and we waited. And waited.
Our hearing was supposed to start at 11:30, but like most other things in Russia it did not start on time. We waited until about noon and then got started. The hearing began with the Judge explaining the purpose of the hearing and stating who all was present - us and Masha, the Prosecutor, a representative from Social Services, and the Orphanage Director. There was also another person from the Orphanage there as well. Ted and I have seen her on our visits to the orphanage but we are not sure what her role is in the whole process.
The Judge talked a little bit about the adoption process and then called Ted up to the stand. He asked Ted if he still intended to proceed with the adoption and then asked him a series of questions about why we wanted to adopt, why Russia, how we would care for the child, who would care for the child, and how our children at home thought about getting another sibling. He was especially concerned about "the oldest child" which made me laugh because I am WAY more concerned about Sam's reaction to us bringing Maggie home!!! Then, he called me to the stand and asked if I agreed with all of Ted's answers and asked if I thought that I was prepared to raise another child. That was about it.
Next the Orphanage Director got up and spoke a little bit about Maggie's background and how she came to the orphanage. He said that there had been no inquiries from her biological family since she had been placed at the orphanage. Then, the social worker got up and talked about her legal status, the search for her biological family and any potential Russians who would adopt her. The Judge was interested in the search for any potential family members, but the social worker said that none could be found. Finally, the Judge asked the Prosecutor if she had anything to add which she did not. He left the room for about 5-7 minutes and then came in and pronounced that he approved the adoption and that her birth certificate would be changed to reflect that her name is Margaret Kristina Holt, date of Birth 12/19/2011, place of birth Moscow, Russia and we are her parents. I held back the tears. Once the Judge left the room there were handshakes and congratulations all around.
Here is a picture of Ted and me outside the courthouse after the hearing.
We went straight from court to the orphanage which is not far away at all. Maggie was feeling MUCH better today and was more animated than we have ever seen her. She was PRECIOUS. Absolutely perfect. Tons of smiles and lots of laughter. I can't wait for each one of you to meet her. She is going to bring so much joy to our family. Of course I cried as we left but I kept telling myself that the next time I walk out of that orphanage she will be in my arms. Only 30 more days. Then both of our lives will change forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay! I can't wait to meet my new niece!!! So happy for y'all (and that's an understatement).
ReplyDelete