They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

6.22.2010

Should we cancel?

We have gone to the beach the last couple of years with our great friends, and Ted's first cousin, who live in Tuscaloosa with their 4 kids. We found a great house for this year in Rosemary and booked for the last weekend in July. And then the oil came. We decided not to cancel - I mean, you never know what might happen. But the worst has happened. I am not sure what Rosemary is like now, but surely in a month the kids will not be able to swim in the water and the beaches will be brown with oil.

I guess I know that we need to cancel, but I feel so terrible for all those people who live down there and survive on tourism. I though that maybe if it didn't smell awful we could corral the kids at the pool and still have a great time. And the recent news article talking about how the IRS is probably going to tax the payments given to the victims makes me sick. (see http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/22/gulf-coast-residents-confused-frustrated-claims-payouts-taxed/?test=latestnewsfor one of the many articles I have seen today online.)

Thoughts?  I know cancelling is really the only option.  It just makes me so sad.  But at least we have the lake as some place to go with the Tuscaloosa Holts.  Keep the Gulf in your prayers.  It gives me a stomach ache.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, we canceled our beach trip, tried to sleep on the idea of not being at Dauphin Island for the 4th, couldn't, and rescheduled it. We're headed down tomorrow. Mary Austill bought a slip and slide and waterguns for the children. Looks like lots of pool time, slip-and-slide, and beach bakery....

    ReplyDelete