We had arrived the afternoon before and my heart was already beating a little too fast. I had packed and prepared as much as I could. I had two extra suitcases (other than the one with my clothes for the week). One was filled with gifts for the orphanage workers and all the people in Russia who had helped us on our journey in Moscow. The other was filled with clothes for Maggie and food, formula, diapers, etc. I didn't know what would like to eat so I packed a variety of things - luckily she liked pretty much everything we gave her.
Dad and I met Vlad early in the morning and headed to get Maggie. It had been snowing on and off since we got there and the snow only got worse the longer we stayed. I didn't care how cold or snowy it was - I just wanted to get to that orphanage. I didn't know how the "handover" would be and it was storage - took less than 15 minutes. We went into the orphanage director's office and I gave a caretaker the clothes I brought for her. I also gave them all the gifts I had brought for them. Before we knew it, Maggie was there. She looked hysterical in the huge snowsuit that I brought for her - it was way too big but it was all I could find.
When I see that picture I can't help but laugh. I had also brought her tights, a dress, a sweater (with a hood) and booties. She had all that on under the red snowsuit! And when I got her back to the hotel and started stripping her down, I saw that they had left on another layer of tights and an undershirt. I guess they thought that she would be cold!! But I am thankful that they left those clothes on her because I have them and I can show them to her one day.
We left the orphanage almost as soon as we arrived and headed back to the hotel. Maggie was probably very scared. She sat in my lap ( there are no carseats in Russia) and was still and silent - a far cry from her behavior in the car now!!!! Dad and Vlad were up front in the car and I just cuddled with my baby girl. She was MINE and I would never have to leave her in that orphanage again.
When we got to the hotel, we went up to the room to play and just hang out. Dad took this picture as we were walking into our room. It is still one of my favorites.
Right after that picture was taken is when she lost it. She started crying uncontrollably. I had never seen much of any emotion out of her. She seemed scared of dad and didn't know what was going on. Dad decided that he would leave and let me handle it. Within about 3-4 minutes I had her settled down and smiling - even laughing. This picture was within 20 minutes of that initial meltdown.
The rest of the week is somewhat of a blur. I went to a lot of Russian office buildings - one to get her new birth certificate with Ted and me listed as "mother" and "father" and another to get her Russian passport. I also went to the American embassy to get my big manilla folder with all the important documents I would need to get her back to the United States.
So today as I think about what I am thankful for, I cannot get past that little girl. I am thankful for her broth mother who gave her life. I am thankful for the doctors and nurses in the hospital who took care of her before she went to the orphanage. I am thankful to the orphanage director who did the best he could and ran a pretty good orphanage. I am thankful for her caretakers who clearly loved her and taught her how to love back. No the journey was not easy - and yes, we have our days like with any other child. But she is MINE. Always and forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment