When she did the ultrasound there was definitely something going on in there. She showed me what the healthy areas looked like which was like nice little lines - what you would think healthy tendons would look like really. Then you could see hte large bags of liquid - or the swelling. It was all over the place. Finally, when she got to the area that was the most swollen and tender to the touch the strainght lines kinda started looking more wavy or cloud-like. So off I went to get an MRI.
I got the MRI on Thursday morning and had to wait until today to get the results because of the Easter weekend. I really didn't want to wear the boot over Easter, but I did. See - you can even see it as I was hobbling away from Sam in this picture (proof that I am wearing it!):
So I went this afternoon and got the results. As usual, there was good news and bad news. The good news is that there is no fracture (which we knew from the x-rays) and no damage to my tendons. So where is the pain and all the swelling coming from you ask? Well, the first radiologist totally missed it. His report noted nothing but swelling. My doctor was not convinced that this persistent swelling after being booted for an extended period of time was from a simple sprain. Instead, she got a second opinion from the first radiologist's boss and he confirmed her suspicions. I have an injury, or small tear, to the retinaculum. Huh?
From the way she described it (and what I have read on the internet, which has proved to be a bad thing, as usual) the retinaculum is a webbing like membrane that covers the ankle bone and tendons and prevents the tendons from shifting all over the place, resulting in consistent rolling of the ankle, especially when exercising. Injuries are common - especially in bad sprains - but usually resolve without any help from a boot, etc. on their own. The bad news for me is that mine is worse than most and not resolving on its own, as of yet. That is mainly because there is not much blood flow to that area, according to my doctor.
Because this is actually a pretty important area of the ankle, healing is essential. So I am in the boot for at least three more weeks. I don't even go back to see my doctor for three more weeks. Looks like me and the boot are forming a long-term relationship. One that I did not want, but will agree to if it prevents surgery (something that I read all about on the internet so I am staying away from there!)
The thing is that we are going on our annual Upchurch family vacation in four weeks. I go back to the doctor on Monday, May 16 and we leave on Sunday May 22. I really really really don't want to be in Palmetto Bluff (one of my favorite places in the universe) in this boot. So pray. Pray hard. This thing has got to heal.
No comments:
Post a Comment