They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

3.09.2011

Ash Wednsday

Today is Ash Wednesday.
The beginning of Lent.
40 days to prepare for the Ressurection.

The traditional way to think about Lent is through praying, fasting and almsgiving.  And I think that most adults these days focus only on the fasting - i.e. "giving something up" for the next 40 days.  But that is only 1/3 of the formula, and really I think the easiest part.  So I am challenging myself to practice a complete Lent for these next 40 days.

I have been struggling trying to explaint Lent to Ward and Ann Park.  I knew that they had been talking about it at school, but how do you really explain something like Lent to a  6 and 4 year old?  I went to "school mass" this morning with Ward and Ann Park, and the homily was short, but to the point.  The priest challenged the kids to be the eyes, hands, and feet of God.  What a cool thing to think about, and a good way to help them in their Lenton journey.  Do as God would do . . . wouldn't he pray, make sacrifices and give to those less fortunate than us?  So that will be our family focus for these next 40 days.  What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment