They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

1.03.2011

Resolutions

I don't do New Years resolutions.  In the years that I have tried, I have always come up with something that was completely unattainable and then I feel bad about myself when in like 5 weeks I am not following through with my resolution.  As a result, I had really not even given a New Years resolution a thought this year - until last night.

Ted and I went to Mass last night at our church. It was nice because grandmom kept Ward and Sam and only Ann Park came with us.  So I was really able to listen to the homily.  The associate priest, Father John, was on for the night.  I really like Father John as he is only a year older than me and also a convert like me.  He grew up outside of Mobile and has this funny accent.  But that is not the point of the story.  He said something in his homily that made me think that maybe I should have a resolution this year.  Well, not a resolution, but maybe a goal to strive for over the course of the year. 

He said (and I am paraphrasing): "Act on what you believe."  What a simple, yet challenging concept.  Before you can act on what you believe, you have to know and understand what you believe. Of course, Father John was talking about Christian belief, but belief extends well past religion and/or faith.   And then to put actions behind that belief so that it will have life.  A belief, no matter how heart-felt or genuine, is nothing without action.  And to put a belief into action can be very hard to do - especially when it is not the "norm" or what everyone else is doing.

So my goals for this year are two-fold.  First to know what I believe.  For me, that means researching my faith, but also searching my heart.  And then, second, I am going to (try to) shape my actions to reflect those beliefs.  Purposeful actions.  Not just going through the motions.   

1 comment: