They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

1.13.2011

A lot has happened

A lot has happened since my last post, and I promise to catch you all up - I know, you are just dying with exchitement.  First, there was the incredible weekend with my sisters, their husbands and mom and dad to Pine Hill Plantation in southern Georgia for a good, old fashioned quail hunt, complete with horses, a mule-drawn carriage, bird dogs, and lots and lots of birds (some of which are now dead).  I have some great pictures that I will post later.  And note that there were NO CHILDREN - the first time in 6 years we have been together without at least one!  It was a great time.

Second, there was the "Winter Storm of 2011" - well at least they were predicting something like that.  Turned out to be a lot of ice, with some snow on top of that.  The roads were pretty bad, but with Ted's Land Rover we were able to go pretty much anywhere.  The kids were out of school for 2 days, which was fun for them, but after a while got old for momma.  I also have some great pictures that I will post.

Third, and here comes the sad part, two pillars of families died this weekend.  Houston Blount (he was my Aunt Barbara's, who is married to mom's brother, father) passed away.  He had been very ill for a long time, and it was a blessing, but it is always hard.   He was a brilliant business man and had a smile that could light up a room.  He always supported the community and his wife, Frances, is one of my favorite people.  I will remember his deep laughter and twinkle in his eye.  He was always so big and strong, especially to a little girl like myself when I first got to know him - not the sick man that I saw on Christmas day.  He will be missed by all who knew him.  Here is a link to his obituary.

Additionally, my Aunt "Ginna" passed away.  Her husband was Frank Park Samford, my grandmother's brother.   She was a lover of the arts and I think that she was one of the prettiest ladies that I have ever known.  I remember always admiring her and still love to hear stories about her and Uncle Frank.  She was very involved in the arts and theater, and he passed on her love for the arts to her children as well as her grandchildren.  And her talent was passed down as well - her daughter Mae is amazing and her granddaughter, Suzanne, has one of my favorite voices, period (she sang at my wedding!).  A link to her obituary is here.

So we have two funerals this weekend, but I will get to see some of my favorite family members at both.  I hate that these deaths are what will bring us together though.  But I guess that is the thing about funerals . . . you mourn with people you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment