They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

8.30.2010

Homework

I think that I have already posted on here that Ward has homework every night, M-TH.  It is not much, but we still have to sit down and do it.  I kinda like it and think that he is getting into a good routine - especially since I hear that in first grade they really "lower the hammer" when it comes to homework.  And I was very surprised to hear that the incredible public school just around the corner from us (where I went to school and routinely gets awards as one of the highest ranked elementary school in the US - "Blue Ribbon School") does not do homework for Kindergarten.  At least they haven't yet. 

But, that was not the point of this post.  Instead, we got a note home over the weekend about how the kids are going to start "Social Studies" this week.  They already do grammar, writing, reading, math and science each day so they are just rounding out hte subjects I suppose.  (Of course if you ask Ward his favorite class is PE where he learned to punt a football the other day and couldn't wait to get home to show me - ALL BOY!)  The problem with starting social studies is that is came with homework.  A project really.  And the project was for me.  It is not a big deal, but it will take some thought and time to do something that Ward will understand.  You see, they are going to start studying about thier ancestry.  She asked that they bring pictures of ancestors, a map from where our family is from, a family tree, etc.  That is all fine and dandy, but that means I have to do the work. 

And then Ted and I got into the whole "well whoee family do we do?"  Mine won out of course since Ted is going to be out of town this whole week and I will be the one doing the project.  Plus, Ted doesn't have any idea about his ancestry and he claims that his family doesn't know either.  I seriously doubt that, but you get the point.  The one nice thing is that one Christmas when I was in high school my grandmother, Ann Samford Upchurch, gave each of her grandchildren a small book that she had printed for us.  It is the diary of her grandfather, William Hodges Samford.  There are some pictures inside and a couple of great stories. She also detailed how the Samfords got here from England and at one point I did a family tree (with lots of blank brachnes) from it. Not sure what I am going to make yet, but if you know me, you know that it will be good.  And colorful.  Poor Ward will probably be embarrassed by his over-achieveing mother.  Oh well.  He has a lot to learn about his mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment