As in ex-boyfriends (or girlfriends for all my hundreds of male readers out there). Why is it that people don't ever tell you anything about your exes? I just don't get it. As most of you know, I have two ex-boyfriends - one from high school and one from college. Yes, I am a serial dater, I know. Why is it that everyone who knows me (and, therefore who also knows my exes) NEVER and I mean NEVER tell me anything whatsoever about them? These are two guys who at one point I considered myself closer to than anyone else in the world. Did the relationship work out? No. Do I not care a bit about them or their lives? Certainly not. I loved both of these boys for a long time. And I still care about them - not in a love way of course, but they will both always have a piece of my heart. They are the people who helped shape and prepare me for Ted, the love of my life. Plus, I had a great time with both of them! Most of my favorite memories from high school and college involve them.
But back to the point of my post. It seems that other people in my life currently know all these things about my exes but don't ever tell me. Why not? I just don't get it. For instance, the guy I dated in college has the most amazing voice. It is one of the things I loved most about him and music was something that we had in common. So last night I was watching "The Sing Off" and I called my mom to discuss that I met one of the guys on the show through a musician friend of mine (Jeramy Lister for those who watched). Mom then tells me that my cousin sang in the group from Yale when he was there and that he now sings with my college-ex in "that singing group in Altanta." Like I knew. Of course I didn't know. I had no idea that my ex still sings or is in a group in Atlanta - because people don't ever even MENTION his name around me. But that is just a small example (i.e. mom, I am not mad at you!)
So for all you out there, I like to know things about them. I hope that they want to know things about me. Of course, you don't have to bring them up in every conversation, but when you learn something cool about them or hear that something is going on in their life, there is no need to avoid telling me. Just because I didn't marry them or they are not in our cicle of friends (something that I think would be a little weird) does not mean that I don't care. And it certainly does not mean that it is a topic to be avoided. Just wanted you to know.
12.07.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment