1. This is going to be a big year for our family. At least I seriously hope. If not, go ahead and find me some antidepressants. We started the adoption journey almost one year ago - January 14, 2011. Hard to believe that we have done so much in a year and yet we still do not have a face or a name for our daughter. There is no "new" news on the adoption front. Not that any was expected. I did hear from our agency yesterday, and we have to update some forms. Once you get past the year mark, forms start to expeire. So that will fill up my time for a bit and give me something to do, but it doesn't help me on the patience front. All I can think about it our little girl sitting needlessly in an orphanage when there are warm arms that just want to hold her and know her. But I am trusting that for whatever reason the timing is not yet here - maybe her little heart isn't ready to join us; or maybe one of our other children isn't ready for another addition; or maybe it is not time to travel. I don't know really, but I know that I am ready. More than ready.
2. Should I make a New Years resolution? I have sometimes made them in the past, but I do really do them really. I guess I don't like the thought of breaking them. And they usually end up being things that I should be doing anyway - like being a better person, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend; exercising more, eating better and the like. But I read this quote on someone's blog the other day and it really hit home with me. It is not a resolution, really, but something to ponder. So I thought that I would share.
"Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." - Henry Miller
Lately, I feel like I have been focusing a lot on myself, my wants and my needs -- on how I sorely missed my parents over Christmas and the traditions we have long shared (they were in New Orleans with my sister and her family); on how I can feel underappreciated and overtired; on how I wished that I looked like her or acted like that; and especially on how I wished that I could speed up this adoption process. But the more I focus on these (and many other) "me" things, the more I know that I lose focus on what is important and I miss some of the beautiful moments in my life. I need to just sit back and see all the blessings around me. And find comfort and peace in them.
3. And finally, I have an amazing husband. Although he is preparing for a trial that starts on Monday, he was so great with the kids (and really with Ward) over the New Years week at Grey Rocks. He spent quality time with them and made memories that they will not forget. And today, as I was reflecting on the above, he sent me this e-mail:
This . . . [was] the first reading at Mass this morning. Of course, I immediately thought of you and thought it was a beautiful verse from the Book of Sirach:
Blessed the husband of a good wife, twice-lengthened are his days; A worthy wife brings joy to her husband, peaceful and full is his life. A good wife is a generous gift bestowed upon him who fears the Lord; Be he rich or poor, his heart is content, and a smile is ever on his face. A gracious wife delights her husband, her thoughtfulness puts flesh on his bones; A gift from the Lord is her governed speech, and her firm virtue is of surpassing worth. Choicest of blessings is a modest wife, priceless her chaste soul. A holy and decent woman adds grace upon grace; indeed, no price is worthy of her temperate soul. Like the sun rising in the Lord’s heavens, the beauty of a virtuous wife is the radiance of her home.
Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment