They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

1.30.2013

GREAT Report

I am preparing a blog post on Maggie's 2nd month anniversary of Gotcha Day (last Sunday), but I wanted to quickly report (while I have a free moment to myself!) that we had an INCREDIBLE report at the International Adoption Clinic today.  First Maggie had her hearing tested.  Although she still has some fluid on her left ear, her hearing was perfect.  We will have an ear re-check with our pediatrician in a month to make sure that the fluid has resolved.  If it does not resolve on its own, we may have to get tubes just to make sure the fluid does not hinder hear hearing in the future.  Nothing is infected though and she is not in pain.

Next, we went to our follow-up with the International Adoption team.  I was anxious (and didn't sleep well) at getting the results of all the blood work.  So many "what ifs" floated through my brain (most of them irrational) but I just needed to hear from an American doctor that all was okay.  And not only was the news that all was OKAY - the news was that Maggie is doing INCREDIBLY WELL!  We first met with the occupational therapist who literally was laughing at how well Maggie was doing.  She said that there were not many children who she has seen in the clinic who are where Maggie is after 2 months home.  Not only did she meet all the goals for a 9-12 month old, but she met a lot of goals for a 12-18 month old (such as putting a cube into the square hole, climbing stairs, etc.)  The OT kept on saying that "good" for these kids is being 6 months behind - that such a delay is expected - and she could not believe that Maggie was not delayed at all.  I was beaming!!!

Then the doctor came in.  Maggie has gained a pound and a half in the past two months home - bringing her to a healthy weight of 18 1/2 pounds!   This puts her in about the 17th% - up from the 5th% where she measured on December 5.  She did not measure length or head circumference - those measurements will be take at her 6 months check-up since that growth is not as big.  And then what I had been waiting to hear - ALL HER BLOODWORK WAS PERFECT!!!!  Nothing abnormal AT ALL.  And she received every shot that she should have (and that was recorded by the orphanage).  The doctor kept on saying how wonderful this was and definitely out of the ordinary from her experience.

All I know is that Maggie is a miracle.  I am convinced that God placed angels around her and in her life while she waited on us.  The orphanage is part of her story and will always be, but she was protected, cared for, and loved by her caretakers.  She is attaching to us so well, and I cannot take any of the credit for it.  Yes, I am working at it and have done everything the experts have told us to do, but God's hand is ALL OVER HER.  She is destined for something so amazing.  I just can't wait to sit back and watch Him work in her life!!!  Praise God!!!!!!

1 comment: