They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

12.08.2012

One week done

I can't believe that this time last week I was packing in our hotel room in Moscow preparing for the very long journey home (and dreading every minute of it!).  To be honest, this week has been a blur.  I feel like so much has happened, and yet I also feel like nothing has happened.  I am still struggling with jet lag (they say it takes a day for each hour time difference so that means I have 4 more days to go!) and just adjusting to having 4 kids and an almost 1 year old in the house again.

Maggie is really adjusting well.  I think that her attachment to us is going as well as it can be - she is learning minute by minute, day by day, that Ted and I are her daddy and mommy and that we are going to be here for her forever.  Sleep is still a bit of an issue, but we are working it out.  I think that the vast majority of her issues right now are also related to jet lag.  She goes to bed quite well, but if she wakes up in the middle of a nap or in the middle of the night, she is very scared and it takes a while to settle her down.  Poor girl - I cannot imagine the emotions her little body is experiencing.  It is something that the vast majority of us will never experience, much less as a baby who cannot understand what is going on.

The other issue that people have warned us about with adoptive kids is food, but that doesn't seem to be an issue as of yet.  She had never had anything other than "baby food" or "mushy food" and we have already introduced her to more solid foods like puffs, cheerios, bananas, and even pancakes.  With the introduction of this food, she does not want to eat off the spoon!  She is having way too much fun feeding herself!  I am trying to remember what I fed my other kiddos at this age.  I guess she can eat pretty much anything as long as I cut it up small enough.  Any advice is welcome!

I'll leave you with some more pictures from the week.  The older kids are really being great with her and I love to see Maggie watching them as they play around her.  I can't wait to watch these bonds grow stronger and to see her personality and how it will change and play into our family dynamic.  In the quiet moments, when it is just the two of us, I keep on having these "I can't believe that she is really mine" moments.  God is so good!!












2 comments:

  1. Been meaning to ask... When in the world did you have time to put a Christmas tree up! Kids look sooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! I think about her and your family everyday...love the updates.

    ReplyDelete