They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

9.23.2010

Karate

Ward started taking karate about three weeks ago.  I was a little bit worried because it is two days a week for an houra and fifteen minutes at a time, right after school.  He can be a bit of a pill when he gets home from school - mainly because he is tired and hungry - but he really wanted to do it so I signed him up.  I was also worried because I had heard that the teacher (they call him "She-Han") was serious and made the kids sit on their knees, do "six inches" (where the kids lay on their backs and lift their feet up six inches) and the like.  He is big on discipline and they have to be able to be still.  I warned Ward about all of it but he still wanted to do it.

And I am so glad he did because HE LOVE IT.  And I am not talking about a little enthusiasm.  It is huge.  He looks forward to it each Tuesday and Thursday like he hasn't looked forward to any other after school activity.  And the things is, he is good at it to.  He can sit still longer than I have ever seen him.  She-han says that he will be able to test the first go-around (which is in a couple of months) and that he rarely lets kindergarten kids test the first time.  I am so proud of him.  Plus he looks really cute in his uniform, especially since the extra small is too big on him! 

I usually go and watch the last 15 minutes or so and I tried to get some pictures on my phone last week.  I didn't capture any great ones (when they are yelling) but I will post what I have.  She-han had called a couple of them up to the front row, Ward included, so they are somewhat unobstructed.  You can at least see how serious he is.  But when he punches, it is hysterical.  His arms literally shake because he punches the air so hard.  Maybe I should try for video today.

This is the starting position.  The next pictures are various punches (all down).  I hate that I didn't get more, but you get the idea. 




Makin momma so proud.  Bullies beware.  Ward will kick your butt!

1 comment: