They keep us running . . .

They keep us running . . .

9.22.2010

Just Say No.

My life is going by too fast.  I really want things to just slow down.  I want to enjoy the small stuff, smell the roses, that sort of thing.  Instead, I feel like the days are just passing me by and I am just going through the motions.  You see, I have this problem of not being able to say no.  I am a working (albeit part-time but I still have to get my butt up and into work) mother of three.  And I am President of a very large volunteer organization this year, which in and of itself has taken up more time this summer than my paying job.  Next thing I know I am also in charge of the decorations for the Beaker Bash, the single-largest fundraiser the McWane Science Center hosts in February.  Plus I am in a book club, garden club, bible study, and a myriad of other small things.  Not to mention that I am Ward and Ann Park's personal driver.  And the family's personal shopper (food, clothes, anything from CVS, Walmart, Costco, and the like).  At least I have a cleaning service, but I do feel like I am alway picking up after someone.  Ummm, I am sure that there are other things that I am forgetting.  Oh yeah, maybe a wife?  That needs to go in there too.

So I already know what my new year's resolution is going to be - JUST SAY NO!  Problem is that I have to complete all the things that I said I would.  And when I say complete, I don't do anything half-ass.  If I say I am going to do something I do it and give it my all.  And I will.  But I also am making a promise to myself right now to slow down and be present with my family.  I will enjoy those nightly walks with Sam while watching Ann Park and Ward ride their scooters, instead of triple tasking during them.  I will play dolls with Ann Park instead of answering those e-mails which I can do after she is in bed.  And I'll even play whatever type of army/ninja/Indiana Jones game Ward has dreamt up.  You know why?  Becuase life is too short and these moments will be gone sooner than I know it.  And they are the memories I will cherish.  Not what organization I was President of or how much work I got done.  So maybe the title of the post should be "Just say yes" - to family.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. You are such a good mommy role model! I have trouble saying no too - it's so hard!

    ReplyDelete