That is the name of Ward's cabin at Alpine. To say that he was excited when we drove up to Mentone and dropped him off would be an understatement. When we got out of the car and walked into his cabin he never looked back. He was in heaven.
There are 4 campers and 2 counselors in his cabin. He knew 2 of the boys already. One a friend from Bham and the other is his friend Eliot from Memphis. His counselors were outstanding young men - an Ole Miss boy and the other is a Jeffersonian scholar at UVA. Not so shabby. I know that he will be taken care of and loved by these young men.
When we were leaving I was trying to get him to get down from his bunk to give me a hug and kiss (which I eventually got) but he screamed out "Bye Mom. I won't miss you!" Made a mother proud. At least I don't have to worry about homesickness!
I still can't believe that he is going to be away from us for a full 10 days. This weekend was kinda nice to have a little quiet but by this morning I was full-on missing him and his sweet face. But just knowing how much fun he is having (and seeing some of that fun though pictures on Alpine's website) it makes me happy. I loved camp so much and I feel like it is so much a part of me. I can't wait for him to have those experiences that I did. Something about that mountain changes people . . . he will definitely come back a more independent boy, but I hope that other things will start changing in his young heart as well. I can't wait to see it all!
7.30.2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment